Monday, June 16, 2008

I'm in Nicaragua!

It feels really good to be in Nicaragua! This is my 5th trip here and it feels very familiar. I don't feel like a stranger in a foreign land anymore. It's a place I love to be and I want to take in all of it and enjoy it to the fullest.

I arrived mid afternoon yesterday and I'm staying at Mayra and Guillermo's house. They are the ministry coordinators for Word of Life Nicaragua. Their family, Mayra's parents who are in town visiting from Costa Rica, Jader, and I all had traditional Nicaraguan food at a local restaurant.

Afterwards, they dropped Jader and I off to help with a Bible Club at a church called "Encuentro con Cristo." I believe Bible Clubs will be the main focus of my ministry time here. Here's how it works, from what I understand...There are missionaries (Jader, Guillermo's family, and I'm helping out too), the missionaries partner with local churches who are interested in doing Bible Clubs. The churches then pick 2-8 young adult leaders, or they volunteer and these leaders are trained/discipled by the missionaries to put on the club at their church. The young adult leaders then publicize about the Bible Club program and invite lots of friends to come to the weekly Bible Club.

The young adult leaders are in charge of the program and they teach Bible lessons, organize ice breakers, play games and sing worship songs. Also, a major component is daily Bible reading and scripture memorization. Those who participate in the Bible Club have a journal with scripture to read daily and a verse to memorize each week. The leaders serve as accountability for the youth to help them grow in spiritual disciplines. Missionaries disciple leaders and club leaders disciple those who attend the Bible Club.

There is so much more to Word of Life ministry than Bible Clubs but his is what I know the most about right now. They also do outreach activities. I believe this week we will go with youth from Encuentro con Cristo and visit an orphanage. I know these outreaches are a major component to Word of Life as well. There's a lot for me to learn and that's why I'm here to get to know this ministry and discern if it's what I'm called to do full time.

I didn't take any pictures last night at the Bible Club but I'll try and take some next time I got to one so you all can see what it's like.

So, that's about all I've got for now! I'll be keeping you posted!

Beautiful verses:

"I will praise the Lord who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me. I have set the Lord always before me. Because he is at my right hand I will not be shaken." Psalm 16:7-8

1 comment:

  1. HOORAY FOR NICARAGUA!!! I'm glad to hear that you made it safe and sound!

    Don't have too much fun without us!!!

    Oh, and we got the sea shells today...THANKS...Emily loves 'em!!!

    Lifting you up...
    ADW

    ReplyDelete