Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Another great quote!

I last posted a large portion of the book I'm reading and here's another great gem that I came across:

The author quotes a reference which is from Robert Boyd Munger's article "My Heart Christ's Home."

"I discovered what it meant to have a Mary heart toward God. Suddenly my eyes were opened to what true devotion is.

It is not a duty. It is a delight
It is not an exercise in piety. It is a privelege.
And it is not so much a visit as it is a homecoming."

(quoting Munger) "Without question one of the most remarkable Christian doctrines is that Jesus Christ Himself through the presence of the Holy Spirit will actually enter a heart, settle down and be at home there, " Munger says, "[Jesus] came into the darkness of my heart and turned on the light. He built a fire in the cold hearth and banished the chill. He started music where there had been stillness and He filled the emptiness with His own loving, wonderful fellowship."

A few paragraphs later Joanna Weaver writes, "What an amazing thought-that Christ wants to spend quality time with me. That he looks forward to our time together and misses me when I don't show up. Once that message started sinking into my heart, I started looking at my devotional time in a whole new way-not as a ritual, but as a relationship.

And a relationship doesn't just happen. It has to be nurtured, protected, and loved."

I'm personally encouraged to meditate on God's character and His heart for us. I've been enjoying the following verse a lot this week!

But now, O Jacob, listen to the Lord who created you.
O Israel, the one who formed you says,
“Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you.
I have called you by name; you are mine.

Isaiah 43:1 (New Living Translation)

No comments:

Post a Comment